StevenBrace.co.uk A mix of my projects for you to see.

New DIY 3-Axis motion control for time-lapse

pan tilt diy motion control timelapse

A while ago I put together some plans for a motion control system for time-lapse camera movement. I designed it to mainly use off the shelf components, with the exception of a number of laser cut acrylic plates. It worked reasonably well, and has become popular with other Time-lapse makers who have used the plans to make their own. Here are some pictures of my first pan/tilt head shown with a 400D.

Since I posted the plans a couple of people have taken them and made their own versions, some use aluminium to allow the rig to hold heavier cameras, here are some pictures of their rigs:

If you would like to read more about these projects follow these links:

In the last few months I have been developing a second version of the motion control head. Here are some key differences and features of the new head.

1. It is considerably more rigid than the last incarnation, being designed to hold larger cine style cameras such as the RED.
  2. Also, it has a much finer angular resolution, allowing smoother acceleration and slower pans.
  3. Through-axis cable routing now allows multiple rotations per axis without tangling control cables.
  4. Additional quick releases allow the head to be rapidly reconfigured and disassembled.
  5. The use of the arca-swiss angle plate allows fast repositioning of the camera to achieve perfect balance or to line up the nodal point of the lens with the axis centres. Additionally other arca-swiss plates and accessories can be used with the head to achieve unique effects.
  6. Rather than using a worm gearing system I am now using a planetary gear and belt drive arrangement. This allows the drives to be positioned within the axes saving space. Backlash is managed through an adjustable belt tensioning system, and through backlash compensation within the control unit. The new unit also makes use of the ubiquitous gt2 gear type, which is heavily used in the 3d printing world and can therefore be acquired very cheaply.
  7. While the previous version was completed almost entirely using hand tools and a laser cutter, the new version makes more use of milling and turning machines. Although this makes it more difficult for DIY makers to reproduce I took care to ensure that all the components can be made with fairly basic manual machines. Perhaps if there is interest I could get quotes to have some of the custom parts machined and make kits, there are only 6 different custom components required to get a bare bones system working. I used only manual machines to make the prototype, machining all of the custom parts myself.
  8. Finally I have designed the unit to allow the posibility of switching the stepper motors over to DC servo drives. At the moment I am researching different control options, but with servo drives (not hobby servos!) quieter and faster operation of the head should be achievable.

Here are some renders showing the inner workings of the unit, along with a picture of the prototype before anodising. I am currently working on the electronic portion of the project and should be able to test the head out fairly soon. Any questions, just comment!

The above model is interactive, click and drag to orbit around the pan tilt head.

untitled.38

untitled.37

untitled.34

pan-tilt-real-before-anodising

untitled.35

Here is a first quick test of a multipass real time shot, the two different takes are overlapped and the difference is overlaid in white. This shows any slight differences between the two captured videos. As you can see, the shot to shot repeatability is very good, there are some small differences but I believe these are due to a lack of frame syncing and also the poor tripod I currently have. Either way the unit is easily accurate enough for all compositing and motion matching needs.

Difference test MOCO head 2015 from Steven Brace on Vimeo.

reciprocal roof assembly from Steven Brace on Vimeo.

35 Responses to New DIY 3-Axis motion control for time-lapse

1. Alexia says:

Hey Steven!

I recently started sketching a DIY project for timelapse and came across your motion control. Could you share the construction details of this one? And how much it weights?

2. Ludvig says:

I really like the look of this head and I would like to know more about it. Could you tell me how the bearings are constructed? If possible a copy of that 3d model would be golden. Also interested in how much backlash you are getting after the belt reduction and what motor/gearbox combo you are using?

Best regards

Ludvig

3. Firat says:

Hi Steven

It was an excellent job. Please project drawings and Arduino code you share with me?

Best regards

• steven says:

No drawings done, but can share .stp file if you email me, firmware is miniE engine v2.0.

Email is steven @ the domain of this site.

Steve

4. Harald says:

Hallo Steven,

this is a very nice job you’ve done. I was already impressed from the previous version of your pan/tilt-head and planned to build one without a worm gear. Now I see that you already did it.
    Would it be possible to send me some further information of the construction? Perhaps with the .stp-file as well? That would be great and help me a lot.

Thanks in advance

Harald

5. levin says:

Hello Stephen
    Project drawings and Arduino code, you share with me?
    Also longest delay time is how long
    Sorry, my English is very poor
    sincere regards

6. levin says:

Hello Stephen
    Project drawings and Arduino code, you share with me?
    Also longest delay time is how long
    Sorry, my English is very poor

sincere regards

levin

7. Mario Contreras says:

Hi Steven!
    I love your design! i built your previous design and i really looking forward to use this one. could you share the drawings? my email es (email deleted)

greetings from Perú

Mario

8. Gaetano Iachella says:

Hello Steven,
    This project is pretty cool !!

This summer I want to make it as well I have a list of hardware/software components that you used?

Best regardsv

TaNo

• steven says:

I don’t have a list prepared but I can send you the CAD model which should help you work out all of the components.

Email me on steven (at> stevenbrace.co.uk

9. santiago says:

Hi Steven.
    Congratulations on your design.
    It is possible to buy the finished head?
    Best regards.

10. Jacob R says:

Hi Steven , what a great design.
    I would love to use it as the basis for an extended design for a vry heavy duty Panorama Robot.
    Your construction details would be soo welcome !!
    If possible please make a little time to make an old photographer / mechanical engineer happy by sending me what ever you want to share.
    Thanks Heaps in Advance !
    Jacob

11. daniel says:

Hi Steven!

Thank you very much for sharing your idea, it’s really impressive !

i would add pan/tilt to my setup 🙂

can you send me your file?

Best Regards,
    Daniel

12. Ed says:

Hey Steven,

I enjoyed reading your post and got very good ideas on how to build my own rig. My plan is to implement carbon fiber rods and carbon fiber plates to make a light as possible rig. Would it be possible to get a parts list of all the planetary gear and belt drive parts you used in your design. Any design models and files would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

13. Mark Newby says:

Hi Steven,

Absolutely great work…

Could you email me your stp model, and any parts list you might have made?

Thanks

Mark

• steven says:

Emailed you the stp file,
      steve

• Alex Lex says:

Hey Steven,

I’d like to join and ask you for the step files. It is really great work with a lot of time spent for, I think. Looking forward to get your files and built up the hardware for fantastic time-lapse sequences.

Thanks in advance!
        Best regards
        Alex

14. Mark says:

Hi Steven,

Great design, I wondered could you email me the design?

Any further thoughts on getting a quote to provide kits?

I’d be in !

Thanks

Mark

15. Patrick says:

Hey Steven,

Excellent work! Very inspiring!

Could you email me your stp model, and any parts list you might have made? I hate to pick from above but there is no other way to say it.

Thank you!

16. Robert A Simpson says:

Hi Steven

This looks like a great project, do you have another link for the miniE engine v2.0 i keep getting “Warnings and Fatal errors” from there web site.

Thanks

Bob

17. Knud says:

Do you have a parts list showing where to purchase it all?
    Think i saw a link to the stepper motors in your previous build. but havent figured out where to buy all the gears, worm gears, tracks and so forth.

regards Knud

18. Alexandros says:

Hi Steven,

Thank u for sharing such an amazing project with all of us.
    I am thinking of starting my own diy 3 axis motion control and I would me grateful if you could sent any stp files, material list and code that you like to share.

Thanks & regards
    Alexandros

19. Adam Stacey says:

Hi Steven,

I really admire your work and would greatly appreciate if you could share a copy of the stp file.

Kind Regards,
    Adam

20. Markus says:

Hi Steven,
    I have stumbled upon your great project while researching for my own one. Could you share some details of the mechanical construction with me? Especially what kind of bearings you are using and what kind of gearing ratio the gearing of your stepper motor has.

Thanks & kind regards
    Markus

21. Claudio Rocha says:

Hi Steven,

Realy liked your project. Im trying to build myself a pan/tilt/slider system to work with a NMX controller. Can you send me the CAD files and perhaps a BOM?

Thanks and Regards